(Direction of views on map:
The old sketch, above,
shows St. Nicholas Cliff around 1840. On the left are Wood's Lodgings,
beyond and behind which is Scarborough's South Bay. These are the buildings
in which Anne stayed during her first few years at Scarborough with the
Robinson family. The Smaller buildings (in the centre of the block) were
demolished in 1842 and replaced by a larger structure: this can be seen
in the photograph opposite; which was taken from the opposite direction,
around 1860 - about 10 years after Anne died there. The 'toll booth' at
the St. Nicholas Cliff entrance to the Cliff Bridge (now Spa Bridge) is
clearly visible. About fifty yards to the right of the bridge are the South
Left view: top towards bottom.
Right view: bottom towards top.)
also 'Wood's Lodgings'
pictures - accessed from 'Main Page'.
© 1999 Michael Armitage
June - 99