- to the 'Anne
Brontë - Scarborough Connection'
|Below is a series of notes relating to this site. Please spend a minute
or two studying the 'Navigation System' notes (bottom section), they will
greatly aid your understanding of where you are, and are going, as you
browse through the various sections.
- These pages have been optimised for an 800 x 600 resolution display;
they also appear quite good in 1024 x 768 (though the pictures appear slightly
smaller than ideal!); however, in 640 x 480, the alignment of some
graphics/text can appear a little messy. Best results are obtained by viewing
this site with the 'Netscape' browser.
- The site is 'self contained': i.e. all items actually reside on this
site. All links that take you to other 'Anne Brontë related' web-sites
are presented on the specific 'Links' page.
- You may notice a degree of repetition of some phrases and sentences
throughout the site. Please accept my apologies for this - it was necessary
for clarity, as some visitors may not browse the items in the presented
sequence (as is the usual case with a book): indeed, they may not visit
some sections at all!
- Amongst the text you will notice small, superscripted numbers - thus:
: as in text books, these indicate sources of the preceding text:
a small letter 'n' following the number - thus: 25n
: indicates a 'note'. Click on the number - it will take you directly
to that particular note/source (all notes/sources are presented on specific
'Notes/Sources' pages - separate from the main text). Important:
When you have read the note/source, click on the word "return"
at the end of that particular note/source - it will return you whence
you came! (Internet Explorer users beware: you may not always be
'taken to' or 'returned to' precisely the designated location on the page:
for accurate results every time - use Netscape.)
- Thank you for visiting my 'Anne Brontë' web-site: I hope you enjoy
the experience, and leave with an increased knowledge and appreciation
of Anne. If you would like to leave any comments, you will find a 'Guest
Book' at the bottom of the 'Main Page'.
- In the top right-hand corner of every page is a small button with a
downwards pointing arrow (see above): this merely takes you directly to
the bottom of the page! In the bottom right-hand corner is a similar button
with an upwards pointing arrow which performs the reverse. On some pages
a small button with a downwards pointing arrow is also included in the
top left-hand corner - this will take you directly to a special feature
further down the page.
Every page has a 'row' of 'RETURN' buttons along the bottom. (see 'example
row' at the bottom of this page).
- The number of 'return' buttons will correspond exactly to the number
of 'links' you are away from the Anne Brontë 'Main Page'.
- The right-hand button will take you back one step (or 'link'),
and each successive button, from right to left, will take you back one
step (or 'link') further - such that the extreme left-hand button will
take you fully back to the Anne Brontë 'Main Page'.
- Beside each button is the title of the page you will be returned to.
- Some pages are 'multi-linked'; in other words can be accessed
via different links (or through different paths): however, the 'Navigation
System' is designed such that the 'RETURN' buttons will take you back,
step by step, along the path whence you came. (You'll soon get the idea).
- N.B: you may encounter a few exceptions to the conditions mentioned
above: these have been done with good reasons which you need not concern
yourself with here - just trust me on this one!
- Some pages are best viewed in a sequence (i.e. when browsing through
the poems selection): where this applies, an additional 'Sequence Control
Bar' will also be found at the bottom of the pages: its function is obvious
- here is an example of the 'Sequence Control Bar':
N.B: The only active button in the 'example row'
below is the one that takes you back to the Anne Brontë 'Main Page':
after familiarizing yourself with the 'row' -
give it a try!
(Assume you have jumped '4 links'
from the Anne Brontë 'Main Page'; there will therefore be 4
'return' buttons . . . )
Are Here - (Page 4)
| (Go back 4 steps to the main page:)
||(Go back 3 steps to:)
||(Go back 2 steps to:)
||(Go back 1 step to:)
June - 99